Chicken and Pearl Barley Salad
- 1 cup dried pearl barley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Spray olive oil
- 250 grams skinless chicken pieces
- 1/3 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds 60 grams
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives cut in half
- 120 grams rocket leaves
- 100g feta cheese crumbled
Lemon Basil Dressing
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup basil leaves finely sliced
- Boil barley: Wash pearl barley and place in a saucepan with 4 cups water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes or until just tender. Once cooked pour into a colander and rinse under cold water then drain the barley.
- Prepare chicken: Season chicken breast with oregano and paprika. Spray a fry pan with oil cook chicken breasts over medium heat. Once it is cooked thinly slice chicken.
- Prepare salad ingredients: Toast pumpkin seeds in a fry pan over low heat for about 5 minutes. Stir them occasionally. Roughly chop olives in smaller pieces.
- Make dressing: Place all ingredients into a screw top jar and shake well.
- Assemble salad: In a bowl add drained pearl barley, sliced cooked chicken, rocket, olives, pumpkin seeds and crumbled feta. Add dressing and toss to combine.
Serves in 1 portion
- Lean meat or Alternatives1
- Unsaturated Spreads/Oils1
Other herbs that would work well in this salad are mint, dill and parsley.
When in season, fresh pomegranate seeds taste great added to this salad.