Pumpkin, feta and rice pie
- Spray oil
- 500 grams pumpkin peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 zucchinis grated
- 1 onion diced
- 1 bunch dill
- 8 eggs
- 250 grams packet instant basmati or brown rice
- 250 grams feta cheese crumbled
- 6 sheets of filo pastry
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a medium sized tart or quiche tin with spray oil.
- Steam cubed pumpkin in the microwave, or boil until the pieces are soft and tender.
- Squeeze excess moisture out of the grated zucchini.
- Add pumpkin, zucchini, onion, dill, and beaten eggs to a mixing bowl.
- Stir through instant rice and crumbled feta cheese. Season with pepper.
- Using about 6 sheets of filo pastry, line the quiche tin so that all sides are well covered. Spray with olive oil in between layers of pastry. Use a fork and pierce holes all over the base of the pastry. Any overhanging filo can be trimmed later.
- Pour egg mixture into the filo lined tin and sprinkle with remaining feta, dill and spring onions. Using wet fingers, fold in excess filo to resemble a crust
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the egg is set and pumpkin is tender.
Serves in 1 portion
- Lean meat or Alternatives0.5
What was swapped?
Filo pastry is a lower fat alternative to puff or shortcrust pastry.
Basmati rice has a lower GI than regular long grain rice and is a good choice for longer lasting energy.